Founded in 1947, DON is one of Australia’s largest smallgoods manufacturers, producing ham, bacon, salami and smallgoods from its Castlemaine site in Victoria.
In 2017, DON Smallgoods engaged The Wattly Group for a three year contract under our ‘Virtual Energy Manager’ service to help set up an energy reduction program. The Wattly Group was selected as an energy optimisation partner based on their deep experience in industrial efficiency, articulation of value, ‘skin in the game’ approach and ability to measure success.
- No visibility of energy productivity and performance
- Rapidly rising electricity costs
- Need to achieve sustainability targets
- Limited energy management knowledge
- Unstructured approach to energy management
- Greater visibility on energy performance
- $1.5M of savings opportunities/ pipeline identified from energy assessment including upgrades to air compressors, refrigeration, lighting and process improvement
- Reduced risk as a consequence of cofunding model
- Project payback less than three years
- Target annual energy savings of 20% of site energy use